Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Do this to your bacon...

Well...I was off to a good start!

{{{keep scrolling if you want the bacon part}}}

Except my poppyseed chicken that I said I was going to make turned into chicken and noodles.  (fantastic)

Easy Creamy Chicken and Noodles
(sorry for the approximate measurements...that's just how I roll cook)

egg noodles (i use about half a bag)
chicken stock to boil noodles in (or do water and about 2 Tbsp chicken bullion cubes) (about 3 cups)
2 big cooked chicken breasts, diced or shredded
1 can cream of mushroom
1 cup milk
1 can mixed veggies (or you can do frozen, just add them in time for them to cook.  the canned you don't have to wait to thaw and cook, just warm)
cheese (if you want it- I added it, but would have been fine without it)

Boil noodles in chicken stock.  Drain.  Add chicken, cream of chicken, milk, veggies, cheese. Mix all together and let it sit until milk and cream of mushroom evaporate into noodles.  I let mine sit for about 20 minutes on low heat.

I loved that this was sooooo easy and delicious!  Now...part of it was that my cooked chicken breast was cooked good--- I had it in the freezer from when i had cooked several breasts in the crockpot a couple weeks back.  I cooked it in some broth, water, s/p, and a little garlic and onion.  I had let the chicken thaw all day, so it was ready to add into the creamy chicken and noodles.

Then...

the snow came.

Okay- if you read my blog and you're not from around these Southern parts...snow shuts us down for days.  Half and inch or 3 feet...seriously folks.  My mother-in-law said this one was a "2 loafer" (she heard it on the weather channel) {and if you need further explanation like I did...it means 2 loafs of bread}

So of course church was cancelled...meaning I didn't get my yummy red beans and rice this week!!  Hopefully we'll have it next week!  So once I left the schoolhouse (knowing we weren't going anywhere for 2 days) I did what every good Southern woman does...I went to the Kroger(s) for toilet paper and milk.  {we seriously did need both}  And it seriously snowed while I was in there!!!  I also made the decision while in there to pick up some bacon, eggs,  and orange juice--- we were having breakfast for dinner at the Darby's.

So.  Wednesday night we had pancakes, bacon, and eggs.  Let me give you a few helpful tips and hints...

1.)  pancakes- use Pioneer baking mix.  I use it for my biscuits and pancakes and LOVE it!!  There have been times I haven't gotten the pancakes just right...and I've tried a little bit of everything.

2.) Do this to your bacon:  mix about a 1/2 Tbsp. each mustard and honey, and about 1/2 c brown sugar in a plastic bag.  Put your bacon in there to coat it.  Place it on a wire cooling rack, then onto a cookie sheet (lined with parchment or foil for easier clean up).  Put in 400 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes---- DELISH!  Even the burnt parts are delicious because they're drizzled with honey!!  



Okay--- the rest of the week went as planned (except that darn roast...but now I can't even think of what we did instead!) Our date night at church was cancelled because of the snow, but Meme and Jimbo came through for us!  So we house-swapped!  They came down and kept the boys while we ordered a pizza and got a movie at the Redbox and went back to their house to watch it in the quiet!!  So nice!  

Next post will be this week's menu!  

No comments: