Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Playdough Fun!

Thought I'd share this fun recipe I had for homemade playdough!  It's so great!  We gave it away as Christmas gifts for Miles' little friends this year!  (idea from How Does She- love that site!)

yes, it's almost lunch and we are all still in our pjs!!

I had everything at the house except cream of tartar.  But trust me, you're going to need this.  I looked up why you need cream of tartar, and all I could really find is that it makes it more elastic-y and smooth.  And that makes sense, because I found a recipe that didn't have it in there and it didn't work.  It was more like playing with bread dough- and super sticky!

So here it is:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup of water
1/4 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 drops of food coloring

Mix all ingredients over low heat, stirring constantly.  We stood there for about 5 minutes.  When it all formed together, I plopped it all in a ball and let it cool for about 10 minutes.  Then we kneaded it lots (partly because it was just fun!)  

When we gave it as gifts, we put some in leftover babyfood containers and small little plastic thingies that I had.  Then I made up some cute gifttags (or look up "free printables" and you'll find a PLETHORA of cute stuff out there!) and passed them out!  Miles' friends and our Sunday school kiddos got some as Christmas happies (we made green and red!)

HAPPY PLAYING!!!  

 a few pictures from us making ours back at Christmas time!  
me and my happy little helper!  and i know you're jealous of how good i look here...=)

and the other one!!

our red playdough...beginning stages!
 
had enough time to go get a bath, then come back and play for a few minutes!
And it's funny...he has those same pjs on today!!

No comments: