Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Some Summer Inspiration...

I have gotten back on a "blog-hopping" kick...found all sorts of inspiration for some much-needed help around this house in updating some decor and just finishing up some rooms and spots throughout the house!  I'm making myself a checklist...so hopefully that will help keep me on track!!  Here are some different blogs where I've gotten my "inspiration"!!

http://granvillehouse.blogspot.com/  ((((and I'm loving the John Wayne saying she has posted on the 18th....my mother in law is a HUGE fan of the Duke and has passed that love on to my 3 year old- I mean seriously- what kid wants to sit and watch old cowboy movies in black and white???  I'm NOT 3 and can hardly handle it!  I'm thinking I'm going to have to do something with that saying for our "man room"!))))

and that's just to get you started....they have all sorts of links to a bajillion other places...you're welcome...


ALSO!

If you're a foodie...I've come across a few new-to-me blogs---

I like the Sunday Baker because she has two growing boys whom she is trying to keep fed with HEALTHY foods!!!  I'm constantly racking my brain on new ways to keep Miles from only having PBJ and trail mix (which I do keep pretty healthy)!   In fact...here are a few things I've recently tried to incorporate...besides chicken nuggets =)

Grilled PB and Apples:
wheat bread (this is what I grew up eating...check the label to make sure the 1ST ingredient is whole wheat flour--- nothing enriched-  means it's been processed more)
PB
apple
little bit of butter and brown sugar
cinnamon

Now...something you may not know about moi is that I am allergic to fresh fruit.  Yes, that is a real thing.  My mom found it here.  Which TOTALLY sucks because I love fruit...all types (not crazy about peaches though...and yes, I know I'm from the South and should anyway...)  And I especially love banana pudding, but have found that even that can make my mouth itch like crazy!!  (No, I'm not going to die or anything if I have fruit like people who have, say, peanut allergies or anything, it's just terribly annoying!!)  So, while you don't have to do this first step, I do.  And I must say- I really like it this way because I'm a sucker for something sweet...

I sliced up my apple, while my butter was melting, added some brown sugar to butter, and sauteed my apples for about 5 minutes, til they were tender.  Something about cooking them gets rid of whatever I'm allergic to.

Then I slather PB onto both sides of the bread, put the apples on the PB, sprinkle cinnamon, and put back in pan I sauteed apples in.  It soaks up the leftover brown sugar and butter and is DELISH!  And sorta healthy! Peanut butter, apples, wheat bread...yep- I'm thinking that covers a couple food groups anyway!  And simple enough for a quick lunch!  

English Muffin Pizzas
english muffins (duh) (and like I said before- we're using all whole wheat breads)
leftover spaghetti sauce (or you can open a new jar  =)
cheese (whatever you have)

I personally like to toast my english muffins in toaster first, but you can broil them in oven/toaster oven if you prefer.  Then spoon sauce on, sprinkle cheese, put under the broiler for a few minutes- and BAM you're done.  And this is sooo easy for little hands to help with!  

Few other things I've got on hand--
Homemade Mac and Cheese (really trying to stay away from the blue box that features toy story characters!), garden fresh tomatoes (when I can bum them off of someone-- same goes for any other type of veggies and fruit!), edamame (I think Miles likes to eat this just because it's fun to say...I like to get the already shelled {because you get a LOT more than the shelled} in the steamable bag- do it according to directions, then put on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sea salt, and cracked pepper- bake those suckers on 375 for about 20 minutes {stir after 10 minutes)- DELISH)

.......anything you want to add to the mix here?!?!  Please share!!  

Now...while I semi-harped on eating healthy...here's a treat for ya...have you seen this blog??  I came across it looking for free fonts (which are fantastic), but her blog is soooo much fun to read...check out these- anything that combines brownies, oreos, and chocolate chips- well...you've got my attention!!  Check the recipe out here.


NOW---- go get to getting inspired!!!  

1 comment:

Sara said...

random - I have the same allergy problem with the ragweed group. I am highly allergic to ragweed even after 4+ years of allergy shots and avoid those foods. Found out the hard way after eating bananas every morning in grad school. Could not figure out what was going on and allergy testing showed no food allergies. :) Allergist mentioned that bananas are in the ragweed group and that could be causing it. I don't eat them often but rarely turn down banana pudding! :) I just make sure to take some allergy medication before or after! :)